Thursday, October 4, 2012

Where Are We Going?

This post has been brewing inside my head for quite a while, yet I just couldn't get it out. Here goes:

I've always been the type of person to have a goal in mind, something I'm working towards, an exciting ending or achievement. Graduate from college, get a masters degree, find a good job, get my certification, get married. I've been working towards something for quite a while, and not just "something" but big somethings. Now I am here, 26, masters degree, good job, loving husband, adorable, sometimes well behaved dog, so why am I sad? I've come to realize that I have been trying to figure out my next goal in life, and get there as fast as possible. I guess part of me figured that since I was married the next steps were to find a house and have a baby. It probably doesn't help that a lot of people tend to ask "when are you going to have a baby/buy a house?" after they find out you are married. It also doesn't help that I, for no real reason, compare myself to everyone. Lots of my friends have houses and babies. I am over the moon happy for these friends, but it's hard not to compare yourself, especially with my tendency to do that anyways.  And it's sometimes hard not to feel like a failure when your friends have a gorgeous house and a cute family. In talking to several of my friends recently, as well as Charlie, we've both come to realize that just because our friends are ready to buy a house, it doesn't mean that we have to. It's not a race, having a house doesn't mean you're complete and it's certainly not something you should rush into. Which is how I was making it feel and that is a huge mistake. So, we've decided to take a break from house hunting and try to figure out where we really want to live, and what we really want to do, and to relax in the mean time. Like I said, it's not a race. We are looking forward to the future and all it holds, but not rushing there, we're taking the slow road. And I'm okay with that.


Penny seems pretty content with her life the way it is. 

Lauren 

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me happy Lauren! I have been feeling the same way, like Garrett and I are behind in our lives, but all things happen for a reason, and we both just need to be paitent.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally love this. you are so right - it's not a race. you have accomplished a lot already, and being happy is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have learned something that many people never learn...to truly slow down and enjoy today. People who spend their life trying to rush to the next benchmark miss so much along the way. Comparing ourselves to the Jones' is never healthy...learning to love ourselves and being comfortable with who we are is a gift. I love all your posts but this might be favorite one yet. Have fun in this chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading what you have to say :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...