Sunday, December 16, 2012

Salt Dough and Wrapping


Charlie must hate Pinterest. I see lots of cool ideas and then force him to help me make them a reality. Last weekends project was salt dough gift tags. 

I used this recipe, but if you google salt dough you can find 100 recipes, mostly all the same ingredients, just of varying quantities. Some say to bake the ornaments/tags, but we let them dry for 2-3 days and they were fine. Baking them would make the tags puffy, and I wanted flat tags. 


Charlie did an excellent job of rolling out the dough, then he pretended to be busy so he wouldn't have to actually make any. He says he has crafting anxiety and I put him under too much pressure. We/I decorated the dough with rubber stamps. After cutting out shapes with cookie cutters and being sure to poke a hole for ribbon/string, we let them dry for 2 days. This wasn't hard because we were both sick and didn't really go in the kitchen very much. 


Once they were dry I painted them. Painting them makes the stamped effect stand out more. 


Then come the fun part; wrapping. In an effort to be eco friendly I primarily used old newspapers from the library as well as some raffia, ribbon and tissue paper (even though I swore to never touch tissue paper again). 

This one is my favorite. I don't have much else to post, because all the things I've been sewing are gifts and I don't want to ruin the surprises like I ruined my breakfast. 

Lauren 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading what you have to say :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...