Sunday, April 28, 2013

Muddy Moose Recap

Back in January when I signed up for this race I had no idea we would be buying a house the week before, and moving into the house. I also had no idea we'd be spending 12+ hours raking leaves and doing yard work. When I woke up on Saturday I told myself there was no way I could do the race. I hate wussing out on things I've signed up for or committed to so I decided to suck it up and do it, even though I was exhausted. I didn't care about the time, my main goals were to not quit, or cry. I figured if worse came to worse I would just walk, and if it was really bad I'd walk all 14 miles.

Here is the before picture. Charlie and Penny came with me to offer moral support, which was much appreciated and helped me to meet my goals of not crying or quitting.

They even made me laugh at water stops. I was not sure where they would be waiting so I needed to "keep it together". Luckily I never wanted to quit and didn't feel super tired during the race. It turned out to only be 13.2 miles not 14. I am certainly not complaining about that.

Here we are at the finish line. My watch said I finished in just under 3 hours, but that's because I turned off my watch when I sprinted into the woods to pee. Penny and Charlie ran with me for a little bit and when I was approaching them Penny was leaping so high in the air she was so excited. It was very sweet. I think she was sad she wasn't running with me.

My feet hurt so bad at the end because my shoes were full of clumps of mud and rocks. I am planning to throw these shoes away. At the finish there was no food left because I ran too slow and all the faster people ate it all. I told Charlie all I wanted was a McFlurry. But then he stopped at a Drive-In in Alton. Apparently they were very understaffed, and it took 45+ minutes to get a cheese burger, hot dog, and small soft serve ice cream. I was super cranky (Hangry) so he waited inside the place while I waited in the car with Penny. I kept texting him telling him I was going to drive away or honk the horn of the car really loud.

Now I can laugh about it, because I am not famished, but I was not very impressed, even with an ice cream in hand.

I've realized that once I get an idea in my head I need to see it through or else I'll never be happy. Due to this I forced Charlie to stop at McDonald's and buy me a snack sized McFlurry.

Now I am happily full, and clean/not smelly. I just need to figure out a way to make my vacation last another day so I can recover and be a functioning person tomorrow at work.


1 comment:

  1. how awesome!! i want to do one of these one day. congrats! great blog! XO


Thanks for stopping by, I love reading what you have to say :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...