Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Adult Sayings/ Mantras


I've been reading a lot lately about Mantras and sayings and "adult wisdom" etc. My friend commented the other day that I was one of the most "adult-ish" people he knew. I thought that was funny since I feel like the most un-adult person I know. Both ideas got me thinking about my personal mantras or things I say to myself to not flip out/be a better person, and to be more "adult". I realized that a lot of them came directly from my grandmother's mouth, and song lyrics. Just a few that I've been repeating to myself lately are:
  1. "If money can fix it, it's not a problem". My grandmother used to say this a lot. It doesn't mean you should just throw money at all of your problems. It means that if something can be fixed (with money) or replaced (with money) then why waste time being upset or worrying about it. 
  2. "Act the way you want to feel." This is a new one for me and needs to be repeated often. It doesn't mean be fake, but if you want to be happy you should probably act happy. Pretty obvious but I seem to tell myself this 3 times a day.
  3. "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need." Who doesn't love to sing the Rolling Stones to themselves? Whenever I want to stomp my feet in 2 year old tantrum style I try to remind myself that things don't always happen the way you want them to, but you'll end up getting what you really need in the end. 
  4. "If it will only take a minute do it now." Just doing something, even if you hate it (switching the laundry, taking out the compost/garbage, emptying the dishwasher) is so much easier than thinking about it how much you hate doing it, or having to constantly remind yourself to do it. 
  5. "We shall all get there someday." This is from a longer quote from Winnie the Pooh, that I absolutely love. It says "Rivers know this; there is no hurry we shall all get there someday." When I was freaking out that our wedding wasn't starting at exactly 4 pm as stated on the invitation because guests were still arriving, not because I wasn't ready, my maid of honor asked me to repeat this quote to her. Saying it instantly calmed me down (well, except then 3 minutes later I flipped off my uncle, whatever). The end result was that I was married, it could have happened at exactly 4, or at 5, or 4:23. In the end who cares. I think about this a lot and try to share it with friends, some of whom comment on how they are not "where they should be" in terms of dating, being married, having a job, or a house, or a dog or a baby. Everyone gets where they're meant to go eventually. 
  6. "Everything happens for a reason." I've written about this before, but I really do think that things happen the way they are supposed it. It's easy for me to say this about past experiences, hindsight is 20/20 after all, but harder to remember in the moment. 
  7. "You have to work hard to be lucky." It kind of goes against the last saying, but you do have to work hard to get things you want. This was actually in a fortune cookie and I have it in my bathroom.
  8. "Be grateful." It seems I only remind myself to be grateful when something bad happens to someone else. I'm grateful I don't have Ebola, but only because other people do, and I've been hearing about it. Prior to hearing about Ebola I would not have. 
  9. "You can only control yourself." This has only recently become a saying of mine as it was news to me a few months ago. Mind blowing, yet so obvious. This applies to every aspect of my life and has helped me get over many small, and a few large instances of annoyance/ aggravation. 
Do you have any "mantras"? Anything you say to yourself to help you get through a rough day?

Lauren 

1 comment:

  1. "Today's the best day of my life" - I sometimes say this to myself when I am feeling down or afraid. I also seem to say it when I am very, very, very happy. As someone who is afraid of death I always am coming to grips with my own mortality. It grounds myself in the moment, stops me from worrying about what I have done and what I have yet to do. If I am still breathing then I must be doing pretty good. Yes I think today is the best day of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading what you have to say :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...